Friday, July 20, 2012

Inland Hurricane?

Tonight a short but very wild storm ripped through Cranbrook, BC.
I heard the thunder advancing, and my power went out. I decided to go for a walk. I could see the advancing dark clouds. As I lingered in the street, I could see dust kicked up in either direction, wind swirling. Then the rain drops started, gradually increasing in frequency. It was an eery scene. A firetruck went by with lights flashing. I turned around and saw the large weeping willow I usually park under writhing about as if it had many muscly tentacles instead of branches. I went back indoors. I busied myself closing windows, observing fan blades spinning of the wind's own will. Soon the torrent was upon the town. I stood in the balcony captivated by the sheets of water blowing across the courtyard.
Afterwards the phone calls. Power lines had fallen on an occupied RV. A tree had fallen on a house. The phone calls painted an ugly picture, but were only a sample of what had happened. Surveying the town after, I can only send my best wishes out to the families affected by the onslaught. As best I could tell nobody was hurt, but many trees and power lines were down.
As I type this, I am without power, but being that I have suffered no property damage, I think I got off lucky.

Were you affected? Comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment