Monday, January 16, 2012

Of Business Parallels & Midnight Banter

I had a brief conversation with a man from India on Facebook today.
I found him months ago after using Openbook to search for keywords in people's Facebook updates.  He had an interesting status, so I'd checked his profile, and realized he was in the habit of making interesting statuses.  Thus, I added him as a friend.
This morning he asked me what business I am in, and I told him about the automotive repair shop at which I work and my role in selling repairs and preventative maintenance.
To my surprise, this seemed of great interest to him.
He remarked on the similarity to his business, where he sells "preventative maintenance of future crisis for businesses."
This prompted some banter from be about what is foreseeable from a mechanical perspective, and why performing a relatively low cost service can prevent a high cost repair, thus providing good value.
I don't know that he paused to think before he said, "one way to adapt is to try [to] figure out what is changing and then adapt - but more potent is to create the change that you want to see."
I'm not sure how this applies to a physical machine, but in his line of business it surely sounds genius.  This might be a parallel for what he finds though; people who are willing to talk about innovation but can't convert from concept to application.
More on this later.


The man to whom I was speaking is Mr Navneet Bhushan from Crafitti (http://www.crafitti.com) who blogs at http://innovationcrafting.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment